Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Artist as Collector: Thomas Dunlay and Staying on Track

An April 2017 article in "Outdoor Painter" magazine by Bob Bahr
 
“In the Dell” by R.H. Ives Gammell

 “I’ve always collected, since the mid-’70s, having the good pleasure and fortune to own some really good pictures,” say Dunlay. “These three all relate to my training and my goals as a painter. “These three all relate to my training and my goals as a painter. I come completely out of the Boston school. I studied with R.H. Ives Gammell, and people out of that tradition … well, we tend to learn what we do, and we stick with it. Rather than a painting having a different meaning today than it did when I acquired it, the painting reemphasizes what we learned about value and color, putting it down and leaving it. These paintings are reminders about staying on track more than anything else.”

Read the complete article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment